Family Law How to File for a Divorce Print this Page
Phone: (415) 444-7040
Location: Civic Center, Hall of Justice, Room 113
Office Hours: 8:00am - 4:00pm

Filing for a Divorce, Legal Separation or Nullity of Marriage

It is strongly suggested that you consult with a family law attorney so that you are informed of your legal rights and the important legal issues that may affect your case. Below are options to assist you in filing your family law case.

  1. You may contact the Lawyer Referral Service of the Marin County Bar Association at (415) 499-1314 for a low cost consultation with a family law attorney.
  2. You may contact an attorney for legal advice or to represent you by looking in the telephone book. Many attorneys have a reasonable fee for an initial consultation.
  3. You may represent yourself. You may seek assistance from Legal Self Help Center located at the Civic Center, Hall of Justice, Room C-44, San Rafael, CA 94903. Call the Legal Self Help Center at: (415) 444-7130 or send an email to:
  4. You may contact the Family & Children's Law Center for legal representation at 30 North San Pedro Road, Suite 245, San Rafael, CA, 94903, (415) 492-9230. This agency has a sliding fee scale.
  5. You may view Court's Local Rules online for the local procedures that you must follow to file your action in the Court.

Obtaining Forms

Judicial Council forms and local forms may be downloaded from the Court's web site. Family Law forms are also available in the Clerk's Office. Required forms may include both Judicial Council and local forms.


Family Court is comprised of three distinct program areas:

  • Family Law Division of the Civil Clerk's Office, which processes filings and schedules court hearings for many different types of matters.
  • Family Law Facilitator's Office, which assists parties who have questions about child support, spousal support, health insurance, and the availability of community resources to help families.
  • Family Court Services, which provides child custody recommending counseling and helps parents resolve child-focused disputes once parents are living apart.

Disclaimer: The Marin County Superior Court has made every effort to provide accurate information at this website; however, inaccuracies and outdated information may be found here on occasion.
External sites are responsible for their own content; the Marin County Superior Court accepts no responsibility for information found at other sites to which we are linked.